Thursday, July 2, 2009

Key West and Family ties.

This has been a great bonding experience.
For the first time in a long time a family outing wasn't obligation or a fucking chore.
It was (shall I dare say) fun and relaxing. I know that parents just don't understand (I swore there was song based on this observation) when you're younger but as time goes by things just change.
I remember all the bullshit arguing and rage that my parents would inspire in me. There were times that I wish I hadn't known them at all except to pay for my outstanding therapy bills.
Now, after all the teenage angst and the yelling and the fighting is done and gone.
It feels great.
I never realized how much I love my family until we went on that Key West trip.
My parents have become more gentle and easier to talk to.
I know that my Dad's visit to the doctor that said he had skin cancer (benign not malignant) those couple of weeks really scared the shit out of me.
I mean I had enough of a fucking breakdown when Danny was in Iraq. Then this...I was about to fucking lose it.
These events have giving me perspective a focused vision that I need to snap the fuck out of this isolationist funk and keep in contact with the ones I love.
That is a rant for another time.
The trip however was great. It has been such a long time since we were all together (well not all Manny will be kidnapped the next time we go off and hang out.) like one big dysfunctional family.
Lude and rude jokes, poking fun at each other and getting trashed.
I don't think I've really sat down and had a drink with my father, but I did last weekend and it was great. We talked so much shit about so many different things.
I really am proud to be part of this family. I love my family more than I know and it is great to finally realize this.
Untitled
Untitled


1 comment: